With any sport, safety should always come first. Unicycling can be dangerous, especially for beginners who are still learning how to balance on one wheel.
That’s why I always wear a safety gear when I ride. In this article, I’ll share with you the top 7 best helmets for unicycling that will keep your head protected while you ride.
- Top 7 Best Helmets for Unicycle
- Helmet Safety Standards and Certifications
- Tips for Choosing the Right Helmet for Your Unicycle
- Proper Helmet Fit and Adjustment for Maximum Protection
- Maintenance and Care of Your Unicycle Helmet
- Additional Safety Gear to Consider for Unicycle
- Unicycling Helmet Reviews from Real Users
- Where to Buy the Best Helmets for Unicycle
- Frequently Asked Questions about Helmets for Unicycle
- Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Top 7 Best Helmets for Unicycle
Unicycling has been around for over 100 years, and it’s a sport that is gaining popularity all over the world. It’s a great way to stay in shape, improve your balance, and have fun.
However, unicycling can also be dangerous, especially if you’re not wearing the proper safety gear. That’s why it’s essential to wear a crash hat while unicycling. This safety gear can help protect your head in case of a fall or collision, which can save your life.
Check out our top 7 helmets for unicycling to find the perfect safety gear that fits your needs and provides the best protection during your rides.
- Top 10 Best Unicycle For Commuting Under 200$
- The 7 Best Electric Unicycle For Heavy Riders That You’d Love
Fox Proframe Full Face MTB Helmet
The Fox Proframe Full Face MTB is an excellent choice for unicyclists who perform extreme stunts and tricks.
It has a full-face design that provides maximum protection, making it an ideal choice for extreme sports. The helmet is also made of lightweight and durable materials, making it comfortable to wear for long periods.
The Fox Proframe has 24 vents for optimal airflow and comes in a variety of colors. The helmet also has an adjustable chin strap that keeps it securely in place.
The products’ MIPS technology provides additional protection, reducing the risk of head injuries in the event of an accident.
- The full-face design provides maximum protection
- 24 vents for optimal airflow
- Variety of colors.
- May be bulky and restrictive
- Full-face design can limit visibility.
POC Omne Air Spin Helmet
The POC Omne Air Spin is a lightweight and well-ventilated helmet that features a unique SPIN (Shearing Pad INside) technology. SPIN technology is designed to reduce the effects of rotational forces in the event of an impact.
The safety gear also has a sleek and modern design and is available in a variety of colors to suit any rider’s style. One of the benefits of the POC Omne Air Spin is its comfortable and adjustable fit.
The helmet features a 360-degree size adjustment system, which allows you to customize the fit to your head shape for maximum comfort. It also has a lightweight and well-ventilated design, which helps to keep you cool and comfortable during long rides.
- Spin technology reduces rotational forces in the event of an impact
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear.
- Price: One of the pricier options on the market
- No full-face design
Bell Sanction Adult Full-Face Bike Helmet
The Bell Sanction Adult Full Face Bike is one of the best helmets for unicycling. It is designed to protect your head in the most extreme conditions.
This model is made of lightweight and durable materials, making it comfortable to wear for long periods. It has an adjustable visor that can be easily removed, and it also has a washable liner.
The Bell Sanction has 15 vents that allow for maximum airflow, which keeps you cool and dry during your unicycle rides.
The helmet’s full-face design provides excellent coverage and protection, making it an ideal choice for unicyclists who perform tricks and stunts. It also has a comfortable and adjustable chin strap that keeps the helmet securely in place.
- Maximum protection
- Removable and washable liner
- 15 vents for optimal airflow
- The full-face design provides excellent protection for the face and chin.
- A bulky design may not be comfortable for all riders.
- Full-face design can limit visibility.
Nutcase Street Helmet
The Nutcase Street is a stylish and comfortable helmet that is perfect for unicycling. It has a durable and lightweight design, making it comfortable to wear for long periods.
The helmet is also available in a range of colors and designs, making it easy to find one that suits your style.
The Nutcase Street model has 11 vents, keeping you cool and dry during your rides. The helmet also has an adjustable chin strap that keeps it securely in place. The model’s magnetic buckle makes it easy to put on and take off.
- Sleek and minimalist design
- Removable visor
- Variety of colors and designs.
- 11 vents are less effective, causing overheating during rides
Giro Fixture MIPS Bike Helmet
The Giro Fixture MIPS Bike is another excellent helmet for unicycling. It is designed to provide maximum protection and comfort, making it an ideal choice for unicyclists.
This item has a durable and lightweight design, making it comfortable to wear for long periods. It also has a removable visor that can be easily adjusted.
The Giro Fixture has 18 vents, keeping you cool and dry during your rides. This model also has an adjustable chin strap that keeps it securely in place.
The helmet’s MIPS technology provides additional protection, reducing the risk of head injuries in the event of an accident.
- MIPS technology reduces rotational forces in the event of an impact
- 18 vents for optimal airflow
- Removable visor.
- The chin strap may be too short for some riders
Triple Eight Dual Certified Bike and Skateboard Helmet
The Triple Eight Dual Certified Bike and Skateboard is an excellent choice for unicyclists who perform tricks and stunts.
It is a versatile option for riders who participate in both unicycling and skateboarding. It features a dual-certified design, meaning it meets both CPSC bike and ASTM skateboard safety standards.
It has a durable and lightweight design, making it comfortable to wear for long periods. The helmet is also available in a range of colors and designs, making it easy to find one that suits your style.
The Triple Eight has 11 vents that provide excellent ventilation, keeping you cool and dry during your rides. The helmet also has an adjustable chin strap that keeps it securely in place.
- Dual-certified for both bike and skateboard safety standards
- Lightweight and comfortable design
- Adjustable strap for a custom fit.
- May be too basic for some riders without additional features such as a full-face design or MIPS technology.
Bern Watts EPS Summer Helmet
The Bern Watts EPS Summer is an option for riders looking for a comfortable and stylish helmet.
One of the standout features of this helmet is its excellent ventilation system, which keeps you cool and comfortable during long rides.
The lightweight and low-profile design makes it a comfortable option for riders of all levels, and the removable padding ensures that the helmet stays fresh and clean.
However, one potential drawback of the Bern Watts EPS Summer is its limited impact protection, which may not be sufficient for high-impact crashes or extreme sports.
Additionally, some riders may find that the limited adjustability makes it difficult to achieve a perfect fit.
Despite these potential drawbacks, the Bern Watts EPS Summer is an excellent choice for most riders who prioritize comfort and style.
With its unique urban look and versatile design, this product is suitable for a variety of activities, from cycling to skateboarding to skiing.
- Excellent ventilation system
- Lightweight and low-profile design
- Removable padding
- Stylish urban look
- Limited impact protection
- Limited adjustability
Helmet Safety Standards and Certifications
When choosing a helmet for unicycling, it’s essential to look for items that meet safety standards and certifications. The most common safety standards and certifications for helmets include:
- CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission): This certification is mandatory for all bicycle protective headwears sold in the United States.
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials): This certification is voluntary but ensures that the helmet meets safety standards for impact resistance and penetration resistance.
- Snell Memorial Foundation: This certification is voluntary and ensures that the helmet meets higher safety standards for impact resistance and penetration resistance.
Make sure to look for these safety standards and certifications when choosing protective headwear for unicycling.
Tips for Choosing the Right Helmet for Your Unicycle
When choosing a helmet for unicycling, there are a few things to consider:
- Type of Unicycling: Consider the type of unicycling you’ll be doing. For example, if you’ll be doing downhill unicycling, you’ll need a full-face helmet that offers more protection.
- Helmet Size: Make sure to choose a helmet that fits you properly. A item that is too big or too small will not provide adequate protection.
- Helmet Weight: Choose a helmet that is lightweight and comfortable to wear. Heavy models can cause neck strain and fatigue.
- Helmet Style: Choose a helmet style that suits your preference and personality. They come in various styles and colors, so choose one that you’ll feel good wearing.
Proper Helmet Fit and Adjustment for Maximum Protection
To ensure maximum protection, it’s essential to wear a helmet that fits properly and is adjusted correctly. Follow these steps to ensure a proper helmet fit:
- Measure Your Head: Use a measuring tape to measure your head’s circumference at the widest point, which is just above your eyebrows.
- Choose the Right Size: Use the helmet manufacturer’s sizing chart to choose the right size helmet for your head circumference.
- Adjust the Straps: Adjust the straps so that they form a V-shape just below your earlobes. The chin strap should be snug but not too tight.
- Adjust the Rear Stabilizer: Adjust the rear stabilizer so that it sits comfortably against the back of your head.
- Check the Fit: Check the fit by shaking your head from side to side and up and down. The helmet should not move or slide around.
Maintenance and Care of Your Unicycle Helmet
To ensure that your helmet lasts a long time and provides maximum protection, it’s essential to maintain and care for it properly. Here are some tips for maintaining and caring for your unicycle helmet:
- Clean Your Helmet: Use mild soap and warm water to clean the helmet’s exterior and interior. Avoid using harsh chemicals or solvents.
- Dry Your Helmet: Allow your helmet to air dry completely before storing it. Do not use a hairdryer or other heat sources to dry your helmet.
- Store Your Helmet Properly: Store your helmet in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Do not store it in a car trunk or in extreme temperatures.
- Replace Your Helmet: Replace your headgear if it has been involved in a crash or impact, or if it is more than five years old.
Additional Safety Gear to Consider for Unicycle
In addition to wearing a helmet, there are other safety gear options to consider for unicycling:
- Protective Eyewear: Wear protective eyewear to protect your eyes from dust, debris, and insects.
- Gloves: Wear gloves to protect your hands from blisters and abrasions.
- Knee and Elbow Pads: Wear knee and elbow pads to protect your joints from impact and scrapes.
Unicycling Helmet Reviews from Real Users
Here are some reviews from real users of the top 7 best helmets for unicycling:
- Bell Sanction Adult Full Face: “This helmet is great for downhill unicycling. It’s comfortable, lightweight, and offers full-face protection.”
- Giro Fixture MIPS Bike: “I love this helmet! It’s lightweight, comfortable, and has a removable visor. The MIPS technology provides additional protection, which gives me peace of mind.”
- Bern Watts EPS Summer: “This product is perfect for summer unicycling. It’s lightweight, has excellent ventilation, and looks great!”
- Fox Proframe Full Face MTB: “This is an excellent item for extreme unicycling. The removable chin guard is a great feature, and the Fidlock magnetic buckle is easy to use.”
- Triple Eight Dual Certified Bike and Skateboard Helmet: “This helmet is perfect for both unicycling and skateboarding. It’s comfortable, lightweight, and provides excellent protection.”
- Nutcase Street: “I love my Nutcase Street Helmet! It’s super comfortable and fits perfectly. My only gripe is that the ventilation could be better, especially on hot days.”
- POC Omne Air Spin: “The POC Omne Air Spin Helmet is easily the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn. The fit is snug but not tight, and the ventilation is top-notch. My only complaint is that it’s a bit pricey, but it’s definitely worth the investment for the added safety and comfort.”
Where to Buy the Best Helmets for Unicycle
You can buy the best helmets for unicycling at your local bike shop or online. Here are some online stores that offer a variety of safety gear for unicycling:
- Jenson USA
Frequently Asked Questions about Helmets for Unicycle
- Do I need to wear a helmet when unicycling? Yes, it’s essential to wear a helmet when unicycling to protect your head in case of a fall or collision.
- What type of helmet should I wear for unicycling? The type of product you should wear depends on the type of unicycling you’ll be doing. Full-face helmets are recommended for downhill unicycling, while lightweight helmets are suitable for general unicycling.
- How do I know if my helmet fits properly? Your model should fit snugly and comfortably on your head. It should not move or slide around when you shake your head.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Top 7 best helmets for unicycles we’ve highlighted all have unique features that set them apart from each other. While they may not all be perfect for everyone, they are all excellent choices for different riders’ needs.
Remember, choosing the right helmet can make all the difference in preventing serious injuries, so take your time and do your research. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, invest in the best product you can afford to ensure your safety and enjoy your unicycling journey to the fullest.
Stay safe and have fun unicycling!